Camp After Story
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Story of Alexander

2 posters

Go down

The Story of Alexander Empty The Story of Alexander

Post by Branson Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:28 am

My name is Alexander. Alexander Croferd if you'e into all that formal jazz. I live, now, in a suburban household with 4 kids and my lovely wife. The children are woken up at 6:50, breakfast is served at 7:00, the showers begin promptly at 7:30 (In a certain order, of course), my wife leaves for work at 7:50, and the kids and I are out the door by 8:00. School for them and work for me. Gotta work to pay for the school. The wife picks up the kids after work, getting home around 3:00. I get home at 5:15 and dinner is served at 6:00. The kids do their homework, I do the dishes, and its off to bed by 9:00.
     But it wasn't always this peaceful. But why am I telling this story? I'll tell you why. It's because I have a normal life. Me! Alexander Croferd! And if I can do it, anyone can. Ah, I guess that should be explained. In my younger days, I was the victim of what most people would call a very mixed up life. But perhaps I should start at the beginning.
     I was born in Seattle. And for many years of my life, I did not leave Seattle. And even when I left, I didn't exactly leave. I was practically thrown out, and rightly so. My parents were delighted when I arrived, but I can't say the same for my grandparents, as I was unplanned. Not only was I unplanned, but I was also the 2nd child given to my unmarried mother and father. So naturally, my grandfather marched my father down the aisle with fire in his eyes and a shotgun in his hand. But my parents were happy.

I had an older brother named Drew. He was one year older than me, but of course, he acted as if he had thousands of years over me. He was always off with his buddies or whatever girlfriend he had that week. And so I was alone. Until one day I left my house. I didn't want to hear my parent's quiet fights that they tried to keep secret. The walls were far thinner than they believed them to be.
     I put my hands in my pockets and strolled out to the meadow near my house, and down to the stream. I thought I was alone, but soon I heard a quiet panting sound; like someone who just got pulled from quicksand. The ground was uneven. I stumbled through the trees till I saw a girl laying on the ground, her feet still in the water. Her arms were spread across the ground, her eyes closed. I stepped in front of her. Why was she here? I saw her eyes open just a bit, than all the way. She was inspecting me now. I wanted to break the silence.
     "Uhm...Hi," I stretched out my arms, extending my pale hand to her, "I'm Alexander...Are you okay?" She did nothing but stare at me for nearly a 30 seconds. She then wrinkled her nose, showing her teeth a bit, almost like a dog snarling. It was weird. She grabbed my hand and pulled, but I stumbled forward. I think she was overestimating my strength.
     "Wouldn't you like to know," she said in a deep growl and she pulled herself up. I had to dig my heels into the ground to make that happen, "You got a home?" she asked when she was up, dusting herself off.
     "Uh, yeah," I breathed. She was massive. Just...so tall. The sun shone behind her. She looked like a goddess. A huge, angry, violent goddess. I'd be lying if I said she was beautiful. Everyone later on seemed to think she was, but I never saw it. Even in this setting, that would make anyone seem irresistible, I felt nothing for her.
     Her name was Pixie. She was taller than me, faster than me, stronger than me, smarter than me, and better than me in every way. And my parents took her in. Her hair was short and blonde, complimenting her perfect skin with pinkish undertones. She was crooked teeth that showed when she laughed, but of course no one cared. It just added her how adorable she was. But that was all just an act. The true Pixie had fangs. The true Pixie had claws. The true Pixie had it our for me. I fell into the mud.
     "Stop it!" I called as the rain fell heavier onto Pixie's golden locks. She picked me up by my collar and threw me back down. I screamed the whole time. My throat felt as if it was on fire from all the shouting I did. But we were too far from the house. No one would hear me. Pixie could do what she wanted. She lifted her pale, slender leg and pushed her muddy shoe deep, deep, into my stomach. I fell back into the sea of mud. Pixie threw her head back and let out her shriek of laughter. It sent shivers down my spine every time. She turned left me there.
   I didn't know why she did these things to me. Maybe it was just because she could. Because I was smaller than her, or because I wouldn't fight back. I went to bed that night and had a nightmare about her. And when I woke up, the nightmare still contained me because Pixie was still there. She was all I feared. She was my foster sister.
     I picked up pieces of Pixie's backstory little by little. I knew she had been on the streets since she was 7, and learned to fend for herself. I  knew she didn't always live in Seattle, and she had been in jail twice, which was alarming for a 15 year old girl. I wondered why she was send to prison as I stared up at her one night. And looking deep, deep into her blue eyes as she gazed off at the TV, I had no trouble believing that she had murdered someone.
     "Pixie?" I asked one day as she was pulling intently on my hair.
     "What is it, kid?" she replied, digging her fingernails deep into my scalp.
     "Why were you sent to jail?" For a moment the pain stopped. She yanked on my hair and twisted me around to face her.
     "I killed my parents, little f*cker, and you're next."
     That's when I wished I could outrun her.

Last edited by Branson on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

The Story of Alexander Empty Re: The Story of Alexander

Post by pach_peachz Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:32 am

Woah.... Thats good
pach_peachz
pach_peachz
Admin

https://campafterstoryrp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:41 am

Aw thank you ^^
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:50 pm

2: Young Ones

Well not too much time had passed, and my parents were expecting another baby. Or rather, my father was expecting another baby. The new child and I were to have different mothers. To this day I never knew how my mother came to forgive my father for his disloyalty, but maybe that was just part of her character.
     "No," she said with his hands in hers, "Don't feel too badly..." she may have fooled him, but I could see the despair behind her eyes. It was not uncommon to hear my mother sobbing behind closed doors. I think she just wanted what was best for us. Her parents divorced when she was at a young age. Maybe she just didn't want us to feel the same pain. And so she stayed with my father. My rat of a father.
     But what would the child be like? What would it be named? Would it be a boy? Would it be a girl? Questions buzzed through all our heads, but no one spoke aloud. Anything regarding the baby was to be left unspoken. But Drew and I often broke that rule.
     "I wonder what color hair it'll have..." I said one night as we sat against a tree in the nearby meadow.
     "Could be anything," Drew replied, "Somehow I came out with blonde, and you came out with black. And we don't know what color hair the mother has."
     "Yeah...Do you think we'll be around the baby a lot?"
     "You didn't hear?" said Drew, "We're keeping it."
     "We are?"
     "Oh yeah," he went on, "The mom doesn't want it." My eyes drifted off. Was it that easy to give away a baby?
     Finally, the day came. The baby had been born and was being released from the hospital. My mother was to love it as her own. I knew she would. I was left alone in the house with Drew and Pixie while my parents went out to pick up our new sibling.
     The three of us staired at the door in complete silence. All the same questions buzzed through our heads, but faster and more demanding of answers. The wait seemed to be forever. Until suddenly, the knob turned and the door creaked open. In walked my mother. Oh how soft her eyes were. The softness only a newborn baby could bring. Then came my father, the baby in his hands. No words were said. The basket the held the baby was put onto the table, and my parents left the room.
     We said nothing. We just staired down into the basket, overcome with complete and utter awe.
     It was a girl. A girl with big hazel eyes. She was the most beautiful thing my young eyes had ever seen.  And we all gazed. Drew was probably gazing because he was single that day and had nothing better to do. Pixie was most likely thinking of all the different ways she could destroy this baby. But I gazed because this was the greatest thing I had seen in a long, long time. She was so pretty. She was so tiny. She was so sweet. Her name was Margret Diane Croferd. She was named by the mother, and no one liked the name. I can't quite remember how we came to decide to rename her and why we chose what we chose, but soon enough, Margret had a different name.
     And her name was Sparky.
     For the first few years of Sparky, not much happened. Nothing worth putting down, at least. We all had a great time with her, and despite the painful connections my mother had to her, she loved Sparky as her own. But enough of that. Sparky was the perfect child, you get it. We'll fast forward a few years.
    It was the last day of my freshman year in highschool. I had a few friends at this point. Greggy Thomas, Jack Willow, Eddy Farris, Elliot Jones, and I think there was some guy named Chris. I think at that point I had a girlfriend too...gosh, what was her name, again? Oh nevermind, it doesn't matter.
     "Hey, Alex!" I was attacked from behind. It was Eddy, rustling my hair as he always did. This provided a deep, dark rage within me nearly every time. I took the next 10 minutes to adjust the carefully styled, dark blue mass of hair on my head.
     "Hi there Eddy," I said with a sigh.
     "Hey, we'll still hang over the summer, right?" he tugged at my shirt with force, "Don't you leave me Alex!" I glared at him as i smoothed out the shirt i had taken so long to iron this morning.
     "Yeah, of course we'll hang out," I said. I was shoved into Eddy.
     "Alex, you princess! Leave that shirt alone!" Jack chuckled at his own humor. I rolled my eyes.
     "Stop calling me that," I answered, "Just because I try to look my best doesn't mean I'm a princess."
     "Princess!!" Jack called. Elliot and Greggy came soon after.
     "Ey don't forget," Elliot chimed in with his accent, hailing from England, "Alex is a big shot boyfriend now. Gotta stop calling him Princess when he's got a princess of his own."
     "Oh right, her," Jack said "Linsdey Mchottie."
     "Mcdottie," I corrected him. Right! Lindsey! Lindsey Mcdottie! Man, thought that name was washed right out of my head. If it weren't for that little nickname, it would have been. Right, I remember now. This was when she walked in.
     "Oh there you are, Alex!" Lindsey giggled. A giggle that I loved then, but makes my stomach turn now to think back at it.
     "Hey," I said. I was shy at the time. She put her hand in mine and we all walked through the hallway together. Suddenly, everything stopped. We stopped walking. The hall seemed to go silent. There he was. A shrimp of a freshman. Danny.
     I wasn't one to comment on size, though. I was small and lanky. But even I was bigger than Danny. Danny was small. Danny was the only person I had a right to make fun of. And I would never, ever let him forget that.
     "Hey shrimp!" Jack called, "How's life in the ocean!" He laughed loudly at his own joke, again. It wasn't a great joke. Danny just ignored him and kept walking. Jack wasn't content with that. He grabbed Danny's coat and pulled him into the center of the gang.
     "Aw look at this little guy," Lindsey giggled, "How cute! Like the little boy I babysit!"
     "Oh where'd he go?" Greggy said, "Oh there he is, couldn't see yah there, Danny!" They all moved in closer.
     "Hey, back off guys..." Danny said.
     "Yeah guys really..." I chimed in, "Back off..." Danny looked up at me with hope in his eyes. I grew a grin on my face as the group listened, "You might step on him!!" Everyone roared with laughter. Danny was shoved out of the circle and out the door as we all called after him.
     And that was highschool.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by pach_peachz Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 pm

I LOVE IT
pach_peachz
pach_peachz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 pm

hehe thanks! danny is in the next one more
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:03 pm

3: Jennifer

And so it was about half way though Summer. I was now a sophomore and it was about this time I came to realize I had no future with uh...what was her name again? Right! Leslie. No wait...that was Junior year...Lindsey, that's right! I came to realize I had no future with Lindsey. Of course, I never really thought, in the first place, that Lindsey was the right girl for me, but it was around this time when I came to realize that she had to go.
     Well Lindsey wasn't the problem, really...I just was interested in, well...other things. Maybe I should clear that up. She was rather...oh what's the word...clingy. Of course, I didn't mind at first. But it got to the point where hanging out with Lindsey was pretty dull. All she ever wanted to do was sit around and talk. Talk about her day. Talk about her friends. Talk about her problems. It was all rather unbecoming. It wouldn't have been too bad, but it was that summer in particular that I craved freedom. I craved fun and life and excitment. (I had taken up smoking, after all) All Lindsey craved was a listener. And at the time, (even though i should have been) I just wasn't up for the challenge.
     "Oh Alex, there you are!" she began, "My, where have you been hiding? You know I looked all over, I looked at the creek, the meadow, the school, the-"
     "Lindsey, let me stop you right there," I said, "And break up with you." Lindsey's damage was visible. I turned and walked off towards my house, the Summer sun pounding down on me. I had commited my first teenage foul. Strike one, as they say.
     I feel guilty about it now, obviously. But back then I was just glad to be free. If I could go back in time and let Lindsey down easy, I would. But I can't. So I just have to sit here knowing I did that. Oh well, she got over it. She ended up marrying the captain of the football team, so I guess it all works out.
     And so I was single. I was a single sophomore in the middle of Summer with a craving for adventure; quite possibly the most dangerous thing there can be.
     As I walked down the street, I was met by a familiar face. A familiar face and a tiny body. It was known other than Danny! The little guy I used to pick on. Our eyes met, but his turned away as soon as possible. He laughed to myself. This could be fun.
     "Hey stranger!" I remember saying this in the friendliest voice I could manage; like I missed him or something. He looked back up.
     "Uh," he said in that quiet voice of his, "Hey..."
     "Well where are you going so fast?" I stepped in front of him and lit a cigarette.
     "Home," was all he said. He tried again to inch passed me. But I was bigger than him. I was bigger and I wasn't going to let him forget it.
     "Why you goin' there?" I asked, once again blocking his path.
     "I got stuff..." he took a step back.
     "Stuff?" I raised an eyebrow, "Oh my, my. Wouldn't want to get in the middle of you and that stuff. Come on, why don't you ditch all that and come hang out with me? We could have some fun." I blew smoke down at him. He coughed and tried to fend off the gray mass.
     "Uh, sorry..." he said, pausing to cough, "I'm busy."
     "To busy for me?" I grinned, "You're best buddy?" I pushed him back. Danny regained his balace just before falling.
     "Hey, leave me alone, okay?"
     "Or what?" I put the cigarette between my teeth.
     "Or...Or..." he took a step back, but I took one forward, "Or you'll be sorry!"
     "Oh! I'll be sorry?" I took a step closer, "Well that does change things. You're a big boy now, huh? Gonna teach me a lesson, right?"
     "Come on, just back off," Danny said with his gaze on the ground.
     "Back off?" I laughed, "Whose gonna make me? You?" I pushed him again. He fell on the ground. I laughed again and began to walk off.
     "B*stard..." Danny muttered. I stopped in my tracks. Everything stopped. Despite the the firey heat, everything froze. Time was still. And slowly, very slowly, I turned around.
     "What did you just say?" I stared at the ground.
     "Wha..." Danny seemed confused. I grabbed him by the collar, raising him off the ground; something i didn't know I could do. The terror was large in his eyes.
     "What'd you call me?"
     "I-I didn't-" my fist was in his face. He was on the ground. Smoke flew up to the sky to escape the violence. I turned to face the other way.
     "Next time," I turned and looked down at him like he was scum, "Think before you speak." I dropped my cigarette on the ground and stomped it out before leaving. I left him there alone. Alone and hurt. Poor Danny.
     It wasn't really his fault, of course. He couldn't have known that his insult was so accurate. And even I didn't know I would be so offended by it. But it all happened to fast. As did many other things...
     As night fell, I went home. Drew and Pixie we're playing video games in the sweet, sweet air conditioned living room. It was a mess in there, which told me my parents must have been out.
     "Ha! Won again!" Drew cheered, "You'll have to try harder if you're ever gonna beat me!" Pixie looked at him with violence and blood lust in her eyes.
     "You do that again, I'll kill you." Drew elbowed her.
     "Silly Pix," he said, "Come on, let's do another." I ignored all this and went up to my room. I passed Sparky on the way. She was fast asleep.
      Now for this story to work, you have to understand how the town was set up. The street were very narrow. You could just about get a car through. And the houses faced each other, naturally. The house across from us had a room with a window that lined up perfectly with mine. Well mine was a bit higher, but just by a little bit. I didn't know (or care) who lived in the room because the curtain was always closed. But not tonight. And if it was...well let's just say, a lot of things would have been different if that curtain was closed that night.
     I took off my jacket and went to fold it when I saw something in the room across the street. It was a girl. But back then, I'd never believe it if you told me it was just a girl. I was 100% convince it was an angel. A goddess, even. Aphrodite herself. I didn't believe in love at first sight until this very moment.
     She was pale enough to put Snow White to shame. Her skin was absolutely flawless. Her eyes crystle blue, and I swear they held all the answers. Her hair was blacker than a sleepless night. It fell down her back like a waterfall. A waterfall with puffy layers and a green streek. Her eyelashes were thick and dark, and I swear they threw off bits on lights. Her eyeliner was thick, but not too thick. It was perfect. Everything was perfect. She was perfect.
     She was Jennifer Simone Shimmer.
     I never spoke to her in my life, but I knew her from school and I had seen her before. But not like this. Never like this. The curtains were red, as if they were reveling a production. The moonlight spilled in through the balcony. The stars reached down to her as if she was all they wanted. I felt their pain.
     She ran her light pink brush through the angel silk she called hair. She wore a light green kami and black shorts. Her fingernails were painted black, and so were her toe nails. I held tightly to my curtain, staring down at her as I cursed the summer. I saw her in school nearly everyday. But what were the chances of seeing her in that accursed season? Of course, I didn't think any of that until later. I was too caught up in that moment of beauty to think.
     She put the brush down and stretched her arms. This was followed by a yawn. Nothing was ever half as amazing. She turned and left my veiw. As soon as she was gone, I missed her.
     From that moment on, I thought of nothing but Jennifer Shimmer. She was perfect, and I wanted nothing more than to see her. They days that followed were all a blurry mess of hope and desire. I would lay awake at night wanting her so badly it would ache. I didn't know why I was hit with this painful desire, but I had to put a stop to it.
     It would come up to my throat. It would churn my stomach. It would clean my mind of any other thoughts. It would take my breath away.
     I found myself in nearby convenience  store. I was too deep in the daze to remember which one. I got my pack of cigarettes and headed to the register. You may be wondering why a 15 year old boy could buy cigarettes, but I can explain. I was good friends with the owner of the store. I knwo that doesn't seem like enough, and looking back I cure that guy for getting me hooked on the stuff, but back then I wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth.
     "Thanks Charlie," I heard myself say. I turned towards the aisle to open the pack. And it all happened in slow motion.
     I raised my head. My eyes looked forward and rested on the what they were naturally drawn to. Jennifer Shimmer stood in front of me. She didn't even know I was there, but I was so aware of her. I still remember what she was wearing. Dark blue skinny jeans, black tank top, pink belt loosely around her waist, black fingerless glove on her right hand, silver chain around her neck dipping into her tank top, dark red boots with black laces. And she was reaching for a bottle of orange soda. I dropped my hand, all the cigarettes falling out of the box.
     The sound alerted her senses. She looked up at me. My heart made a complete and utter stop. One corner of her mouth rose up a bit, showing off her perfect teeth. Her nose crinkled slightly. That smile made everything a thousand times worse. A lump grew in my throat.
     After realizing I wasn't going to be picking up my cigarettes any time soon, she came over to me. She smelled like a thousand roses. I'm not just saying that. She really did smell like a rose.
     She bent down and picked up every cigarette one by one and held them in her beautiful, beautiful hands.  This was the closest she'd ever been to me. I was close enough to sense her, smell her, see her clearly. It was overwhelming. There must have been a long pause, but I didn't notice it.
     "......................" nothing was said. She stared at me with confusion, and I at her with love.
     ".......Are...you gonna hold the box all day, or can you help me out here? Because this is gonna have to be kind of a team effort." She spoke to me. Her voice was smooth, like silk made by Aphrodite.
     "Oh...uh...right..." I looked at the box in my hand and the cigarettes in hers. I put the box forward and waited. The pause seemed like forever.
     ".....I'd love to help you out, but I kinda got my hands full," she looked up at me. Her eyes sparkled when she giggled. This giggle wasn't like Lindsey's. jennifer's giggle was sophisticated and smart.
     "Sorry, sorry," I took the cigeratte's one by one and put them back in the box, "Thanks for that," I said. She smiled, putting a quick stop to any breathing that may have taken place.
     "My pleasure," she answered, and went back to get her orange soda. She came back and gave it to the cashier.
     "1:50," he said.
     "What?" Jennifer looked up, "What happened to 50 cents?"
     "We raised the price last night." Jennifer sighed.
     "Oh well," she took the soda back. This was my chance.
     "I got it," I said and took out a dollar bill.
     "Oh, you don't have to do that," she said.
     "No, no it's fine." I gave Charlie the dollar and Charlie gave Jennifer the soda. She looked at me and smiled.
     "Thank you," her eyes glistened once again.
     "No problem," I said, "...I'm Alexander, by the way..."
     "Alexander," she smiled. It gave me physical pain to hear her say my name, "I'm Jennifer."
     "I kn-" I stopped my self, "Okay cool."
     "I'll see you around," she opened her soda and left. I stared straight forward and felt my sweaty palms.
     "Hey Alex," said Charlie, "You've really got it bad, don't you?"
     "Shut it, Charlie," I said. I rolled my eyes and left. But he was right.
     I did.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by pach_peachz Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Yayayay!!!!!
pach_peachz
pach_peachz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 am

4: And So It Begins

And so I had met Jennifer. I thought it would quench at least a small part of the flame, every moment with her was gasoline. I had run into her two more times since our encounter at the store, and it just kept getting worse. Soon enough, Jennifer and I were considered to be friends. I remember one night pretty clearly. We sat in the meadow behind near my house, leaning against our regular tree.
     "So..." Jennifer began. She did that a lot back in the day. She'd start to ask a question and then trail off until I asked about it.
     "So...?" I looked over at her. The moonlight on her face nearly killed me. The grass was damp and the air was cool and soft. The crickets sang their hearts out. And it was all for her. All for Jennifer.
     "So..." she began again, "Tell me about your family. I haven't met them yet."
     "Oh..." I smirked lightly, "Well I got an older brother and an older foster sister..."
     "Are you the youngest?" She asked.
     "No," I answered, "I got a younger sister too. She's about 4." Jennifer leaned back against the tree and sunk deeper into the grass. My heart throbbed.
     "That's pretty cool," she smiled, "I have a brother whose 4."
     "Do you really?" i said, sinking down next to her.
     "Yeah," her smile put all other smiles to shame, "Nikki."
     "Nikki?" I said, "Isn't that a girl's name?"
     "Yeah," she replied, "And he gets picked on a lot just for that. Makes me mad..." I looked to the side and thought back to my encounter with Danny. His bloody nose. My fist in his face. The cigarette, stomped out on the ground. I snapped myself out of the daze and lit a cigarette to quiet those pesky nerves. Jennifer looked over at the white stick in my mouth with those crystal eyes of hers.
     "Oh what," I said, looking up at her, "I guess you're gonna give me the 'those'll kill you' speech now." Jennifer smirked and looked up at the sky.
     "Nah," she replied, "I don't care what you do." I looked at her.
     "Jen," I said, "You mean that?"
     "What?"
     "Do you really not care what I do?" I sat up, "I mean like I can run off, I can jump off stuff and all that sh*t?"
     "Alex, what are you talking about?" She looked up at my like I was crazy. I was, of course.
     "Oh nothing," I said, sinking back down, "Forget it."
     I blinked, and it was the next morning. I woke up and got out of bed. Naturally, I went to my window and looked down to see Jennifer in her room. She sat in her pajamas pants (black with green polka dots) and and her black kami, brushing her hair. She looked up and noticed me. I waved. She waved back and ran out to the balcony.
     "Hey, Alex!" She called.
     "Morning!" I called back.
      "Wanna come over today?" She asked, leaning over the bar just a bit. I was shocked. I had never been to Jennifer's house before. A million questions ran through my head. They scattered when a loud noise was heard. It took me a second to realize that noise was my answer.
     "Sure!" I cringed at my own voice. Jen smiled.
     "Okay, 6:00?"
     "Yeah, 6:00." And we went our separate ways.

I was exactly 12 minutes late. That time was spent doing my hair, of course. It had to be perfect. I remember getting to the door and expecting Jen to come get it. It didn't come to my mind that other people probably lived in the house. So you can imagine my surpirse when a woman in her 30s came to the door.
     "Oh uh..."
     "You must be here for Jennifer," she said. She seemed annoyed, and it showed in her voice. She was bothered. Not by me, or anything in particular. Just in general. Her brunette hair was soft and shiny. It was head in a pony tail. It wasn't any different from a regular pony tail, but it seemed fancy and classy somehow. Her clothes were far too expensive for a Seattle mother. I knew instantly she grew up somewhere else and wasn't too thrilled about moving here when it happend.
     "Uh yeah," I said, "Is she here?"
     "Wouldn't you like to know?" She rolled her eyes. It was hard for me to believe this was actually a thing that was happening.
     "Oh there you are!" Jennifer appeared from behind her mother. I thanked the stars.
     "Who is this?" Mr.s Shimmer asked her daughter, "Who are you?" she said, turning to me.
     "Alexander," Jennifer and I answered together, then shared a glance.
     "Alexander," said Mrs. Shimmer, switching her gaze to me. It was like she was starring into my soul. And she didn't like what she saw.
     "Uh..." Jennifer looked at me, then her mother, then back at me, "You can come in." She grabbed my arm and pulled my passed her mom and through the door.
     Jennifer's house was not how I expected it to be. Judging from her mother, I assumed the house would be clean and fancy, riddled with expensive items. But it wasn't like that at all. The baige carpet had multiple stains and small burn marks from cigarettes. The walls were gray with tacky pictures of flowers hanging unevenly. The leather couch was crooked, and on it sat a large man with a brownish, redish beard.
     "Dad, this is my friend," Jen said, "His name is Alex." Her face held no expression. It was obvious that this introduction was the very last thing she ever cared about.
     "Very nice to meet you, Alex," Mr. Shimmer stood up. He was enormous. He was tall and broad-shouldered. He was just a massive person in general. And he scared the absolute daylights out of me. Although the words he said would imply he was glad to meet me, his lack of expression and disapointed tone said otherwise. He rested most of his weight on a cain he held in his right hand. This added to the fear and to this day I don't know why that is.
     "You don't have to lie," Jen mumbled to herself as she crossed her arms and looked to the side.
     "What was that?" he looked at her with those dead eyes of his.
     "Nothing," she rolled her eyes.
     "Didn't sound like nothing, girl!" He leaned forward on his cain. Jennifer's eyes shook and she took a step back. My glance shifted between them. What was I witnessing?
     This was all inturrupted by a small boy, no older than 4. He walked in unannounced, his shaggy blonde hair draping over his eyes. Jennifer looked down at him desperatly and gabbed him by the buckle of his faded, red overalls.
     "Nikki!" she said, "Meet Alex!" She held him up to me, not two inches from my face. Our eyes met. His were hazel and deadpan. But I could see the slight suggestion of a glimmer deep within them.
     "Uhh...Hi there!" I said to the child that hovered so close to me, "Nice to meet you!"
     "You don't know that," he said, never breaking that solid eye contact, "I could be your worst enemy. This meeting could be terrible, you don't know. Good heavens, you people do assume things so." My eyes met Jennifer's.
     "Yikes, my sister can't even talk that well yet..." I bit my lip. Jennifer put Nikki down, and he carried along with fetching a bue sketch pad and orange box of markers as if nothing had happened.
     "Yeah..." she said, "He's uh...he's smart."
     "I see that," I replied, "Way smarter than Sparky."
     "Sparky?"
     "Oh yeah," I said, "My sister. The one that's the same age as your brother."
     "That's a rather unloving attitude for an older brother to carry for his sister," Mrs. Shimmer appeared from nowhere with her hostile insult.
     "Oh uh, no I mean Sparky is great, I just meant that-she was-I mean I"
     "Dinner is served," Mrs. Shimmer didn't care for my defense. Good thing too. I had no idea what I was gonna say. I blinked, and we were all at the table.
     "Jennifer," Mrs. Shimmer scolded, "I swear, I've never seen you eat a single vegatable I put on this table." Jennifer rolled her eyes.
     "I don't like things that are good for me," she pushed her meatball around on the plate with her fork as if she had no intention of eating it.
     "That's silly, Jennifer," said Nikki, "To not like things that are good for you would be to not like being healthy. To not wish to be unhealthy would be to wish yourself sickness. Sickness dampens everything in life until it ceases and health has once again returned to your body, making health a good things and sickness a bad thing. So either you are saying you like the pain of sickness, or you are just being contrary and that is just ridiculous."
     Gazed in awe at this 4 year old boy out-smarting Jennifer, but the rest of the family merely rolled their eyes and shushed the child.
     "So Alexander," Mrs. Shimmer began, "What do you do?"
     "What do I...do?" I repeated her question.
     "What do you do?" The nice tone scampered off in an instant.
     "I uh..." what did I do? Not much. Not much I would want to share with Jennifer's mother. I thought about Jennifer. I planned ways to get her to love me. All this wasn't exactly the best thing to say at dinner time. "I play guitar," I said, simply.
     "Oh really?" Mr. Shimmer chimed in, "What kind of stuff do you listen to?"
     "Oh uh...Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Van Halen, Oasis..."
     "...Hm," was all Mr. SHimmer came back with. I could tell my musical taste was simply not enough.
     "What was your favorite school subject?" Mrs. Shimmer continued to grill me. And why did it have to be this question? No one likes this question. Why to adults always ask kids this? It's just cruel. I slept through every class and then some. How could I answer this question if I didn't even remember what classes I took?
     "History," I said. I guess I thought the answer to this didn't really matter, so I might as well pick something out of the hat.
     "You don't say!" Mrs. Shimmer began to grow a smile, "What area of history?"
     "Uh..." I searched my mind desperatly for an answer, "Civil War?"
     "Wonderful!" Mrs. Shimmer grinned, "You see, I used to be a history teacher." My world shattered. Why couldn't I have said science? Social Studies? Gym, even! But no, I had to go with history!
     "Oh, really?" I laughed nervously, trying to act interesting instead of scared to pieces, "That's crazy."
     "Well I don't know if 'crazy' is the proper word," her smile was gone and she went on eating. I breathed again. She was distracted by my bad grammar skills, so I was in the clear for now.
     After dinner, I said that my mother wanted me home. She didn't care really, and thought I'd be out much later. But I had to get out of there.
     "Pleasure meeting you," said Mr. Shimmer. He took my hand and shook it. It sent shivers down my spine. He scared me to death. Mrs. Shimmer did as well, but in a different way. Like I was going to disapoint her. Like I wasn't good enough in her eyes. But Mr. Shimmer was scary because I knew he could hurt me, and for some reason, I felt as if he was going to.
     Jennifer went outside with me to walk me home. We began the long journey to my house across the street, arriving not one minute after we had left. We stopped at my door.
     "So uh..." she began. She had no intention of finsihing the sentence.
     "So," I said, hoping to suggest that she finished.
    "Thanks for coming over," she smiled lightly, looking at the ground, her hands behind her back. And I don't know what it was about that night. Maybe it was the fact that Jennifer's beauty was uncontrollable in the moonlight. Maybe it was the cool breeze sending chills down my spine. Maybe it was the challenge of being with her despite her awful family. Whatever it was, something about that night made it impossible to hold myself back.
     I took her hand in mine and pulled her in. And before either of us had time to make a choice whether or not we would do this, our lips met. I pulled back quickly, in case I was wrong to kiss her. She stared at me, a pinkish glow flaring up under her cheeks. The silence seemed like forever.
     "Sorry..." I remember saying, and starring at her shoes. I felt her hand on my head. She pushed the hair out of my eyes and looked into them.
     "Took you long enough, Croferd," she whispered. All I remember after that was hugging her tighter than ever and breathing in her scent. She left me there alone that night. And as I watched her go back into that horror movie she called home, the flame consumed me. And that moment made me sure that the flame was unquenchable.
     I didn't sleep that night. Was it excitment preventing me from sleeping? Was it happiness? Fear? None can say. But the fact still remains that I didn't sleep a wink.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:57 pm

5: Beauty And Confidence

Jennifer and I had finally gotten together. And every moment with her was beautiful. We spent everyday with each other, and I enjoyed every second. It was all great until the day she decided to ask me over to her house again. I couldn't turn her down. She knew I had nothing to do. I had no choice but to accept. And so there I was again, at her door the next night. But it was different this time. This time I wasn't just her friend. I wasn't just a passing fancy. I was her boyfriend. Who knew what sort of intentions I had with her? Not her parents! I prepared myself for the worst night of my life. I was not disappointed.
     Mrs. Shimmer said nothing when she came to the door. She only opened it and then walked away, leaving it open. I took a minute to think before assuming that I should walk in and doing so. I closed the door behind me. I was in the hallway alone. No one was there. My heart raced. I went for the door, taking this oppertunity to get out of there.
     "Alex!" I turned to see Jennifer standing at the top of the steps with a smile on her face. I faked a smile to match hers.
     "Uh heeyy," I said, trying to calm myself down. She met me at the bottom of the stairs and hugged me quickly. I could tell she was trying to get the affection overwith in case anyone was watching. Sure enough...
     "Alexander," I looked up to see Jennifer's father again. My heart raced and a shiver went down my spine, as it always did when he spoke to me. He semmed bigger this time. Maybe it was the fact I was dating his daughter, because it had not been too long since our last encounter. His shadow loomed over the room and engulfed me, "It's nice to see you again."
     "Uh yeah," my hands shook, "H-Hi there." Nikki came walking through the room again.
     "Nikki, look who it is," Jennifer said.
     "Hi Alex," was all Nikki said as he went upstairs, not even stopping to look up at me. I didnt know how he knew it was me in the first place. That kid was weird. He gave me the creeps. Mrs. SHimmer appeared behind me. I held in the sound of fright that nearly came from the sudden surprise.
     "Dinner is served."
     And we were at the table. The whole time beforehand, I was worried about the conversation. What we'd talk about, how I'd respond to their questions...but what happened was so much worse. There was no conversation. No one said a word.
     After dinner I went home. I was palnning to stay, but I couldn't handle it any longer. I said goodbye collectively to the whole family and lef tthe door without even making eye contact with Jennifer. I was too scared of what her father might say.
     Later that night I was sitting in my bed in my pajamas, trying to finish my summer reading. Of start it, really. School was two weeks from now and I hadn't even picked up the book until now. Classic Alexander. I sighed. I was about ready to call it a night when I heard the sweetest tune. It was the tune Jennifer and I agreed to whistle out the window to get each other's attention. (Please make no mention of the Hunger Games. We thought of this on our own, thank you very much)
     I got up at the sounds of the tune and went to the window. There stood Jennifer, out on her balcony. She was in her bright blue, zebra print pajama pants and black kami. I'm not sure why I always remember what she was wearing so clearly...maybe it's because it was the only thing I had to focus on at tht point. Not I have to deal with kids, bills, a wife...but back then, the only thing that mattered was which belt Jen was wearing that day.
     "Hey," she said quietly. Not loud enough to wake anyone up, but just loud enough for me to hear, "Sorry today was so awkward..."
     "Don't worry about it," I said, "It could have gone worse."
     "Yeah, ain't that the truth..." she smiled, "Are you done your Summer reading?"
     "Nah..." I said, looking back at the novel laying on my bed, "I just started." Jen smiled and shifted her gaze to the side a bit.
     "Yeah, me too," her hands gripped the railing. I smiled. At least we'd go down together.
     "Sucks..." I sighed.
     "...Wanna come over?" Jen asked. Our eyes met. Sometimes I'd go to Jennifer's room at night and we'd hang out in secret when everyone else was asleep. It wasn't creepy, trust me. And we wouldn't do anything, we'd just sit in her room and talk and laugh and stuff like that.
     "Yeah, hang on." I left the window and snuck out my front door and across the street. And there I stood, under Jen's balcony, looking up at her. She stood, looking down, waiting for me. I grabbed ahold of the pipe that lead me to her and began to climb. It didn't take too long.
     By the time I got up, Jen had already set the alarm for 4:45. That was 10 minutes before her mom got up for work. We did this every time. If we both fell asleep, the alarm would wake us up and I'd have time to get out before we were in any real danger of getting caught.
     "I don't want to go back to school," she said about an hour into our meeting.
     "Yeah, me neither...But everyone thinks you're great. What do you have to worry about?" I asked. We were sitting on her bed, facing each other.
     "I don't care about the social things," she sighed and looked at her hands, "I'm worried about being a sophmore and being dumber than my 4 year old brother."
     "Jen," I looked at her, "Nikki is the smartest person I know."
     "Alright, that's a good point," she said, "But I don't mean Nikki really, I mean..."
     "Who?"
     "Everyone," she said, "I'm dumber than everyone."
     "Jennifer Shimmer," I whispered, "That's just not true." She sighed.
     "No, no..." she said, "It's true."
     "What gave you that idea?"
     "My stupidness," she answered. I said nothing for a bit.
     "You can't be down on yourself," I said, "I won't let you."
      "What if you want stop me, and I'm just doomed to be sad and stupid forever?"
     "Not gonna happen," I shook my head, "Because you were never stupid to begin with, and it's my job to make sure sadness doesn't lay a finger on you." She smiled lightly and looked up at me. I leaned in and kissed her.
     I don't remember much about the night after that, except that she fell asleep on me about an hour later. I looked down at her on my shoulder, sleeping soundly. There were no words that could describe how much I loved her.
     Instead of waking her up, I laid her down gently, turned off the alarm, and climbed out the window without saying goodbye. She needed her sleep, after all. That night was memoriable to me. I'm not sure why. But it felt like the first night when we got together. But there was one difference. I got in bed, pulled on the covers, and had the deepest sleep of my life.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 pm

6: The Most Important Chapter

It was just two weeks before school. It should have been cool and rainy. But it was hot. It was hot and rainy. But it was Seattle, yah know? It could be hot, cold, somewhere in the middle...but it was always raining. And if it wasn't raining it was about to.
     Anyway, I hadn't seen Danny around at all after our last encounter. I figured he was just too scared to come outside. But I quickly pushed the thought of that little runt out of my mind. Jennifer was coming towards me. I'll never forget how she looked that day. I mean, I always remember what she wore, but something was different that day. I don't know what, but something made her seem 100 times more beautiful than before. But not in the same way, where it would hurt and burn. Her beauty didn't sting that day. I felt content and comforted. She was in a light red kami, gray skinny jeans, her star belt, and her black fingerless gloves. I really loved her.
     We met in the middle of the street.
     "Hey," I said. My voice was soft and quiet, as if I was scared to wake someone up. The sky was pink and orange and I didn't know why. I guess I didn't notice how early it was that morning when we met.
     "Hey there," she answered before kissing me slowly. After pulling away, she told me her parents would be out of the house for the weekend. They had to go see her Aunt in the hospital, and they were taking Nikki with them so he could see a cousin his age.
     "And you don't have to go?" I asked, almost in disbelief. She smiled and shook her head.
     "The weekend is ours," her eyes sparkled brighter than I'd ever seen. And to this day, they've never been brighter than they were at that moment.
     "When do you want me to come over?" I asked, putting my hands on her hips.
     "They're leaving at 5:30."
     I was there at 6:00. We did all kinds of things. We went to the meadow behind my house and talked till the sun went down. We carved our names in the tree. It's still there to this day. We went back to her house watched TV and laughed and everything just felt right. It's like the universe was sharing one big relaxing sigh. Before too long, it was midnight. I didn't need to be home at any time. My parents didn't care where I was and probably didn't even notice I was gone. Plus, by now, they would have been asleep for hours. My mom was always great, but she always let me go wherever I wanted, which was nice.
     We were sitting on the couch, her head on my shoulder. I felt her head drop a bit and her eyes had been closed for a long time. She was falling asleep.
     "Maybe I should go home and let you sleep," I whispered. She raised her head. Her hair was messy on one side. And I'll never forget what she said.
     "No, don't go. The night is still young."
     "So...What do you wanna do?" I asked.
     "I don't know," she said, "Just don't go. Come on, let's go upstairs." And we did. I blinked, and we were standing in her room and I was kissing her deeply. My fingers ran through her hair and my jacket came off. It was 12:13.
     We were on her bed in a heartbeat. I don't think I have to say what followed that night. Parents are right to not trust their children in these situations, because Jennifer and I did exactly what all mothers and fathers are scared of. But what I remember more clearly is what took place afterwards.
     It was 1:30 AM and Jennifer was asleep in my arms. I looked down at her, admiring everything about her. Her fluttering eyelashes, her feathery hair, her perfect skin that was whiter than snow. I didn't sleep much that night. I was more interested in things like moonlight and Jennifer and the color of her walls. I wanted to memorize everything about her room. Because that was the moment I realized how ruined I'd be if I ever lost her. So I had to remember everything, just in case that ever happened.
Light blue walls
Cluttered shelves
A teddy bear with a pink bow around the neck
An empty can of Orange soda on the floor
Slowly, everything began to go dark and I knew sleep was taking me. I woke the next morning before I realized I had been asleep. Someone was knocking on the door. Jen and I had woken up at the same time.
     "Who could it be?" I whispered. Jen shrugged and grabbed her robe. I was up and scrambling to get dressed in a heartbeat.
     "Who's there?" Jennifer called to the knocking sound.
     "Your mother," the harsh voice sent shivers down both our spines as our eyes met and we froze.
     "So..." Jennifer's eyes gazed at the door in horror, "What are you doing home?"
     "Aunt Marcy got out early," Mrs. Shimmer replied, "Can I come in?" I zipped up my pants a grabbed my jacket.
     "One second!" Jen called. I opened the glass door and threw one leg over the balcony. Jen kissed me quickly before I climbed down the pipe and ran home. I didn't stop running till I was upstairs, in bed, and under the covers. It wasn't until then that I took a deep breath and my heart began to beat again.
     The weeks to come weren't very eventful. I saw Jennifer everyday, and more and more afraid that her parents knew what took place. They gave us no reason to suspect that, but we were just stupid kids. This was a different time. A time when it wasn't nearly as common for someone to lose they're virginity before marriage. Most of my friends had, but that was just the kind of crowed I hung around with.
     Before I knew it, school had began. There was really nothing to remark on before that because it was just a big block of fear. I barely remember the first few days of school, other than I had barely seen Danny, and I had been trying to avoid my friend group from last year. I hadn't seen them at all over the Summer, and being reunited with them in the school year proved one thing: I was beginning to out grow them. Everything was 'funny'. Everything was a dirty joke. They were immature and flat out annoying. I hung around with them for a few weeks, but slowly began to step away.
     I do remember one thing with Danny. He had the locker under mine, which I gave him no peace about since he was shorter than me.
     "Danny watcha doing?" I remember approaching him one day.
     "Going to first period," he said, avoiding eye contact like the plague.
     "I think you forgot something," said one of my friends. I can't remember which one. I think I was with Elliot and Jack, but dont quote me on that. Let's just call him Elliot. He took a step closer to Danny.
     "Nah," Danny began, "The only one here missing something is you. It's called a brain." I raised an eyebrow. What he said was true, but still offensive. Elliot and Jack grabbed his arms and started shoving him towards my locker.
    "Quick wit, Walker," I smirked.
     "Yeah, look whose talking back!" Jack taunted as he continued to fight against Danny. Danny was putting up the fight of his life to stay out of my locker, but it was two against one; the one being much smaller than the two. I stepped in and helped Elliot and Jack. Danny was in the locker.
     "Guys, seriously!?" Danny punded on the door, "OPEN IT!" Elliot and Jack high fived each other and laughed. (Right, I remember, it was them. I remember making a braces joke to Elliot later and he was never seen without Jack)
     "Thats what you get, punk!" Elliot laughed. I smiled and listened to Danny's struggle.
     "HEY ALEX! WHAT THE HELL IS MY LITTLE PONY?!" Danny called. My eyes shot open. I pushed my friends to the side and kicked the locker door. I hears pages ripping.
     "DANNY, YOU BETTER STOP WATEVER THE HELL YOU'RE DOING!" I yelled at him.
     "LET ME THE HELL OUT THEN!" He screamed, keeping up with the destruction of my...let's call it homework.
     "IN YOUR NICEST DREAMS!" Yelled Jack.
     "Kay then!" Danny called. There was a moment of silence. That couldn't have been good. My friends and  stood there for a second.
     "KAY YOU GUYS CAN LET ME OUT NOW IF YOU WANT A PASSING GRADE FOR THE YEAR!" Danny yelled out. My eyes shot open and I went for the door to let him out. Elliot and Jack grabbed me.
     "What are you doing?" asked Jack, "We can't let him out yet! It's only been like a minute!"
     "Guys, he's messing with my stuff! I have enough trouble with school as it is. It'd be nice if he didn't destroy my homework too!"
     "Since when have you cared about passing school?" Jack asked.
     "Yeah, it'll be fine. It always is!" Elliot pushed me.
     "Grow up fence-face, you need to work for sh*t, that's just how it goes." Elliot and Jack shoved me around and grabbed they're backpacks.
     "Have fun, softy," said Elliot. They walked off. I sighed and rolled my eyes. I bent down and opened the door. Danny sat, scrunched up with such a smug look on his face.
     "So what's My Lit-" I shoved my hand over his mouth and yanked him out of the locker. He hit the floor.
     "Piece of sh*t," I hissed at him as I grabbed his collar and lifted him up, "Better be glad we're in school." He opened his mouth wide and let out a long, drawn out yawn. I made a fist, ready to break his nose all over again, but tried to surpress my anger. I threw him back down on the ground and grabbed my backpack and walked off. I didn't know why, but I omething about our encounter that day just hurled my anger right over the edge.
     I only saw him one more time the whole school year. I remember, he was going through his locker and turned without looking and we ran into each other.  We were both on the ground.
     "What the hell are you doing?" I asked. I was angry at him. I don't know why, but every since the locker thing, even the thought of him made me make a fist.
     "None of your business," he answered. My insides turned with rage.
     "Dumbass," I stood up and grabbed his collar as I pushed him against the locker, "And what do you say? Since you so kindly ran into me."
     "More like what do you say," he replied. There was no second thought. I punched him. He gasped and held his nose, trying to stop the blood from coming out as quickly.
     "Yeah, like I'd say sorry now, freak," he hissed, "You know once I move, you'll be the smallest person in the school so I'd watch out. You won't have me to hide behind anymore." I pushed him down harder than ever before. His head hit the wall, and I saw blood. I grinded my teeth and my heart pounded. My lungs were on fire. I kicked him in the chest. I wanted to keep going, and going, and going forever. But it was school. Thank God it was school.
     "That's for back talking," I growled, "You can take this as a going away present," i said as I kneeled down and flicked him in the face. He slapped my hand away. I made a fist. But again, it was school.
     I grabbed my backpack and walked off. There were hot, angry tears in my eyes as I looked back at the blurry red mess. I could barely see through the tears, but I knew he was bleeding. I bit my lip and got out of there.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:31 pm

7: Shock
     It was around this time Jennifer got sick. Not the kind of sick where she had the sniffles and big watery eyes and her hair was messy and she wore hoodies. It was the kind of sick where she spent hours hovering over the toilet, throwing up. I assured her it was no issue and I would visit her anyway, but she wouldn't have it. And so I stayed home.
     It had been a long time since I spent long amounts of time at home. I woke up that morning, not really sure what to do. I went downstairs and saw Pixie holding up Sparky, as far away from her face she could manage. Sparky looked around innocently, with big curious cat eyes. Her blonde hair was standing up because of the static.
     "Hey Pix, what are you-"
     "What IS this thing...." Pixie asked me, seeming very baffled at the sight of a child.
     "That's Sparky...Our baby sister...We've had her for a long time now." I was confused. Pixie looked up at me. Her pupils were enormous.
   "But like...What is it?" she asked again. She was obviously high.
     "Okay, I think that's enough babysitting for you," I went over and took Sparky in my arms. Pixie stayed still, her arms still outstreched as if she was holding a child. Drew came in next, with a cigarette in his mouth.
     "Hey bitches," said true. He flung his lanky self down on the couch and put his feet up on the table. He must have been in a good mood That was his happy greeting.
     "What are you so happy about?" I asked, brushing back Sparky's hair.
     "Because it's Sunday!" Drew laughed.
     "It's Friday," I corrected him.
     "Oh..." his smiled faded, "Damnit, never get high on a Wednesday." I wasn't sure what that had to do with anything, but I let it go.
     "So what - This is the thing now?" I asked, "Yall just sit around smoking weed?" Pixie put up her pointer finger and her pinky. (Devil fingers)
     "That's the way, brother," she smirked.
     "Aren't you worried about like...getting messed up?" I asked.
     "Ah, come on," said Drew, "It's not a big deal. What - you smoke cigarette's but a little weed is gonna kill yah?"
     "What about Sparky?" I said.
     "Hey, that's right," said Pixie, grabbing a plastic bag from the floor, "It's never too early to start." Drew put his arm in front of her body before she could get up.
     "You're high!" he called. She sat back down.
     "I just dont think this is best world for a kid to live in," I said, looking down at Sparky.
     "Whatever, man! Don't you have some girl to f*ck?" Drew taunted. My stomach turned. How did he know? Did someone tell him? Who else knew?
     "How'd you hear about that?" I asked, nervously.
     "Know about what?" asked Drew, "I just assumed." He blew a clean stream of smoke into the air. And then everything was calm. I took a deep breath.
     "Oh, okay good."
     "Wait..." Drew sat up straight, "What were you getting so bent about? What's going on with you and Jenny?" He smirked and winked.
     "Jennifer," I hissed. Something about him calling her that just yanked my chain. I wasn't sure why. It just seemed so...Drew.
     "Alright, whatever," he shrugged.
    "Nothing's 'going on'," I replied, "We just...." I looked at him. I looked at Pixie. I looked down at Sparky, my baby sister. I looked back at Drew, "So weed, huh?" I sat down on the floor. I put Sparky down and she crawled her own way.
     "Yeah, Pix pass it, would you?" Pixie tossed the bag over to Drew. I wasn't nervous to light it up. I was just glad to distract them from asking me about Jennifer. Be fore too long, the room was full of that comfortable smell; that unpleasant, and yet calming scent. So welcoming. And that was the first time I got high.
I laid on the floor and blew into the air. Everything seemed...fuzzy. Not bad fuzzy, but like warm and cozy. It's hard to explain, actually. There was a smooth tune playing. I wasn't sure if it was real or not. Pixie liked to put her music on, but it was highly possibly that it was just the drugs singing to me.
     There was a sound that seemed like a cannonball hitting the door. I stumbled to my feet to go see what was going on. Drew and Pixie watched me, with nervous eyes.
     "I hope it's not the monster..." Pixie whimpered. Drew put his arms around her.
     "It's okay baby," he whispered in her ear, "Alex won't let it get you." This was not an uncommon things, come to think of it. It was normal for Pixie to show signs of a deep seeded fear of a creature she refered to as 'The Monster." No one, not even her, could explain what this 'monster' was, but it really freaked her out.
     I opened the door. It was Jennifer. She was wearing a yellow shorts, a pair of slippers, and an oversized hoodie. She looked worried. Judging by her face, the smell from the house must of hit her like a sack of bricks.
     "Hey baby," I was happy to see her, "I'm happy you're here. But...what going on with your eyes?"
     "My eyes...?" she seemed confused.
     "Yeah like...why are they all yellow-ish?" My nose twitched. She just stared at me for a while.
     "Okay...This seems like a bad time," she turned around to leave. I grabbed her by the hood.
     "Wait, what's going on?" I asked.
     "No, no," she answered, "I have something super serious to tell you and I can see this is clearly not the time." Suddenly, we were in the middle of the street. I don't know how we got there.
     "No hey I can listen," I said, "Let's talk, baby." There was a long pause.
     "Fine," said sighed, "Let's go inside."
     "Right, your inside or mine?" I laughed at my own joke. I probably shouldn't call it a joke though...in fact, i dont know why I was even laughing. We went into my house. I don't remember what Jennifer said, but it made Drew and Pixie clear out of the room. I seemed all fuzzy and mumbled at the time, though. We sat on the couch.
     "Alex..." she said, taking my hands in hers.
     "That's me," I winked. Or I tried to. It was harder in this state. I ended up closing both my eyes, one at a time, over and over again, until I had a headache.
    "Alex," her tone was sturn now.
    "What?" I asked, "God woman, just spit it out."
     "'Spit it out'?" she said, "You want me to just spit it out?"
     "Uhm, yes please," I replied in a sassy tone.
     "Okay fine," she dropped my hands, "I'm pregnant."
         All I remember was throwing up. Right then and there. Instantly. To this day, I don't know how my body worked that fast. Jennifer was over me, her hand on my back. She probably had no idea what to do. I looked up at her, ready to say something. I don't remember what, though. I passed out.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by pach_peachz Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:19 am

Woah
pach_peachz
pach_peachz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Branson Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:54 pm

8: Oh God, what have we done?

I woke up the next day with an overwhelming feeling of regret and raw terror. To this day, nothing was more horrifying than waking up that morning. I was in my bed. I didn't know how I got there. I didnt know what time it was, what day it was, how much of yesterday was true, or really anything at all. All I knew was, Jen was pregnant. And that was what scared me to no end.
     "I'm not getting up," I whispered to myself, "As God as my witness, I will never get out of this bed." The door flew open and Drew sprung in.
     "Morning homie!" He went to the window, ruffling my hair violently on the way. I growled and sat up, rubbing my head.
     'Homie?' Why was he talking weird?
     "Hey, let me ask you a question," he said, taking one of my cigarettes and lighting it with my lighter, "What day is it?"
     "Beats me," I answered, "I was hoping you would know."
     "I dont have time for crap like that," he blew smoke into the air.
     "Okay..." I breathed, "What are you doing in my room?"
     "Oh right!" he remembered and looked out the window, "You gotta see this." I stood up. That's when I noticed I was obscenely sweaty. I took off my shirt.
     "What is it?" I asked, grabbing a t-shirt from the back of my chair. I stood by the window and put it on.
     "There's a girl over there," said Drew, "Right across from your window." I looked out towards where Drew gestured. Sure enough, I saw Jennifer in her room. She was blowdrying her hair.
     "...Yeah?" I said, "What about her?" Drew adjusted his jacket.
     "That will be today's project, thank you very much," he put the cigarette between his teeth.
     "You're gonna go ask her out?" I asked.
     "Yup."
     "...That girl over there?" I asked, pointing to Jennifer.
     "Yup."
     "...My girlfriend?"
     "Y-What?" Drew looked at me in shock. I just looked at him.
     "You're dating her?" He asked.
     "You didn't know that?"
     "I knew you had a girlfriend and I knew her name was Jennifer but I didn't know that was the Jennifer you were dating!"
     "Surprised?" I asked, lighting a cigarette and looking down at Jen as she began putting on her makeup.
     "A little, I guess," said Drew, "A little shocking that my little brother got such a babe."
     "Why is that?" I asked, blowing smoke out into the warm air.
     "Don't know," said Drew, "Not sure.....You guys good together?" he asked.
     "Sure," I said, "As good as we can be." We both watched Jennifer. She picked up a glass of water and got up to walk away.
     "There she goes," commented Drew. Of course, Jennifer then tripped and let out a tiny yelp before hitting the ground. Me and Drew laughed ferociously. Jen stood up. She must have heard the laughter. She came out onto the balcony.
     "Oh sure, laugh it up!" She hissed. She wanted to seem angry, but I could tell she was laughing inside too.
     "Morning Jen!" I called, somewhat nervously after the laughter had died down a bit.
     "Hey," she called back, "We have to talk about something, okay?"
     "Oooh, somebodys in trouble!" Drew chuckled. I shoved him over a bit.
     "Okay, Jen!" I said, "Give me 20 minutes!"
     "20 minutes?" she looked confused.
     "Yeah!" I called back, "I gotta take a shower and get dressed and stuff..."
     "And that takes you 20 minutes?" her eyes widened.
     "Yeah, our Alex is a bit of a diva, yeah?" Drew laughed and ruffled my hair again. I hated that.
      "Yeah!" called Jennifer, who was trying to seem like she thought it was funny. I gave a low growl and went to get ready.
     I'll spare the the painfully interesting details of my getting a shower and putting clothes on, even though I know you're all dying to know just what kind of soap I used and what color my shirt was that day. (It was black) So soon enough, I was at Jen's house. Nikki came to the door when I knocked. He was my 3rd choice. I would have liked it if Jen came to the door, but it would have been okay if it was Mrs. Shimmer. She was awful, but at least I was ready for it. I wasn't ready for a very tiny boy with shaggy yellow hair and a brain twice the size of Drew's ego. Alright, maybe not that big.
     "I've been expecting you, Alexander," his voice was even more cold and robotic than I remembered.
     "You have?" I asked. That was confusing.
     "You were bound to come by sometime," he replied, "You are either here to 'hang out' with Jennifer, take Jennifer out, or break up with Jennifer. One of those things was bound to happen at one point or another. And so here you are." I said nothing. Lucky for me, though: Jennifer appeared at the top of the steps and came over to the door. She picked up Nikki, who did not break eye contact with me for one moment; well, as much eye contact as he could have. Only the lower half of his eyes were showing on a good day. That damn hair must have been what made him so crazy. Or maybe he was the only sane one...The point is, he was like REALLY weird, guys.
     "Come in?" said Jen, almost annoyed. I wasn't expecting that. I went inside and we sat on the leather couch as Nikki scampered out of the room and up the steps.
      "So what did you need to talk about?" I breathed. She looked at me like a wife who had just gotten the 'she's only my assistant' or something.
     "Are you kidding?" She hissed, coming forward a bit.
     "Okay, obviously I know what you need to talk about but like-"
     "Stop saying this is something I need to talk about," she said in an angry whisper, "This is something we need to talk about!"
     "Okay, God, just talk to me then," I said. She leaned back and crossed her arms.
     "Okay," she said in the tone that always meant she was pissed, "What do you have to say for yourself?"
      "What!?" I said.
     "Shh!" She glanced behind her, making sure there were no parents listening.
     "How is this my fault!?" I said in a whisper, equally pissed off as my yelling voice.
     "Do you really need me to explain that to you?" she said, "Because I'm pretty sure you didn't miss that health class."
     "Okay, first of all, for the record, I did," I wasn't sure why I said that, but it was too late to take it back, "And I'm not asking for a repeat of sex ed, I'm just saying that it takes two people to make a baby!"
     "Shhh!!" she waved her hands and looked around the room.
     "Sorry!" I whispered, "But seriously, Jennifer, this is not only my fault."
     "Really?" her eyes had a glimmer shoot across them, "Because I don't exactly think I could have done this myself!"
      "Okay, if you're gonna be like that," I stood up, "God, Jen! Call me when you're thinking straight!" I started to leave.
     "Oh hell no, Alexander," she said, getting up, "You did not just pull that." I turned around.
     "Pull what?"
     "You fucking know, okay?" she argued, "You're not going to impregnate me and then make me raise it myself, got it? You can't pull me into that, kay? I've seen that movie!"
     "Well I'm not gonna be the guy that gets thrown out of society for impregnating my girlfriend while you play the victim and can a ton of support!"
     "You really think I would use my pregancy as an excuse for attention?" she was furious now, "Who do you think I am? One of your 25 ex girlfriends?"
      "Why? Is that what you wanna be?" There was a long pause where no one spoke. We just stood, staring at each other, and then at the ground. It was then that Mr. Shimmer came in. He was behind me, but I felt his presence right away. Dark and heavy.
     "Alexander," his calm voice was like a dagger of ice that stabbed into my head and dripped down my spine.
     "Hello sir," I said, turning around. The ice inside me turned to fire that consumed my bones and throat when my eyes locked on what he held in his hand. Where there used to be a cane, was a long, black, shotgun. I tried to speak, but I think the words were too scared to leave my throat.
     "Daddy?" breathed Jennifer.
     "What's this I her about you putting a baby in my daughter?" his voice never lost it's careful steam of carefully planned words, and that scared me more than anything; like he had been expecting this for 1,000 years.
     "N-Nothing sir," I said in a helpless whisper.
     "Didn't sound like nothing!" he pointed the gun at my face, an inch away from my nose.
     "Stop it!! Don't!!" Mrs. Shimmer ran into the room, pulling violently on her husbands sleeve.
     "Stay outta this!" he growled. It was then that I smelled the alcohol. A drunk man just found out some kid got his daughter pregnant. My heart shattered. This was how I was going to die.
     I heard a click. He was going to shoot at any moment.
     "You're a dead boy," he whispered, his eyes cutting through my skin.
     "I know," I whispered in reply, staring back.
     "But then who would raise the baby with me!" Jennifer's voice cut through the silence like a butcher's knife. All eyes were on her now.
     "What are you saying, baby girl?" Mrs. Shimmer cried.
     "You can't shoot him, daddy," Jennifer said, stepping forward, "Do you want your granddaughter to grow up with no father? People would ask questions. I'd get some pretty bad labels. And so would you, being the grandfather of the fatherless. What - do you let your daughter run around all over the place? Doing whatever she wants?" The eye contact she made with her father was like a lead pipe; so steady and strong; seemingly endless. The thoughtful pause was comfortable and scary all at once.
     Then Mr. Shimmer looked back down at me, with a look of intentional fury.
     "You're gonna marry my daughter," he ordered. My eyes must have been enormous. My heart was in my throat.
     "Yes sir," I whispered. This was followed by nearly a full minute of silence. But finally, oh finally, he lowered his weapon.
     I went home that day and didn't stop shaking for nearly a week. I knew I was lucky. Not many living people know what the barrel of a gun smells like.
Branson
Branson

Back to top Go down

Post by pach_peachz Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Oh. My. Gosh.
pach_peachz
pach_peachz
Admin

Back to top Go down